Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Antidotes

Codependent Behaviors verses Healthy Antidote Behaviors

  • empathizing vs. feeling my feelings
  • worrying about vs. not worrying about (or for) others
  • pitying vs. respecting
  • helping vs. helping only when I want to
  • caretaking vs. taking care of myself
  • fixing, resuing vs. letting others experience their own consequences
  • protecting vs. acknowledging other's ability to take care of themselves
  • defending vs. letting others defend themselves
  • interfering vs. minding my own business
  • rationalizing, justifying vs. seeing others' behavior honestly
  • excusing vs. letter others be accountable for their actions
  • sacrificing for vs. taking care of my own needs first
  • being a martyr vs. not giving my life away for anyone
  • avoiding vs. confronting
  • distancing, withdrawing from vs. being accessible, approaching others
  • witholding from vs. giving happily when I want to
  • giving the silent treatment vs. listening and responding
  • minimizing or denying my feeling vs. valuing and owning my feelings
  • pretending, deceiving, or lying vs. voicing my feelings and opinions honestly
  • manipulating vs. asking for what I want
  • controlling vs. letter others make their own choices
  • teasing vs. complementing
  • shaming vs. honoring
  • criticizing, judging vs. appreciating, accepting
  • blaming vs. taking responsibility for my own life
  • resenting vs. forgiving
  • being hostile vs. being kind
  • cursing, raging vs. expressing my anger appropriately without attacking
  • hating vs. loving
  • punishing, abusing vs. disciplining fairly, and only when appropriate
  • discounting, ignoring vs. respecting, acknowledging others
  • neglecting, abandoning vs. fulfilling commitments even when difficult
  • being passive vs. taking action
  • whining vs. speaking honestly concerning my needs or wants
  • acting helpless or powerless vs. using my abilities and power constructively
  • being bitter vs. forgiving and letting go of the past
  • fearing vs. being courageous
  • being vigilant, on guard, wary of vs. being self-confident
  • pleasing vs. pleasing myself
  • appeasing vs. fighting for my rights appropriately
  • enmeshing vs. being independent in my feelings and choices
  • needing vs. enjoying others while being self-sufficient

(c) 1999 by Tim A (NYC)

No comments: